For party planning needs in the DC metro area please visit Fabulous Fetes

Friday, July 15, 2011

{Real Parties} Crab Boil

When I think of summer, one of the things that comes to mind is a crab boil.  Plus, I think it's a great no nonsense way to entertain. 

My friend and neighbor Ellen just celebrated her big 4-0 and asked me to help in planning her party and to make the cake.  When she said she wanted to have a crab boil I was thrilled and I knew exactly what I wanted to make and luckily Ellen was really open to the design so I opted to make the cake look like a bushel of crabs.

I ended up making the favors, favor tags, signage and the centerpieces.  Ellen came up with a great suggestion of putting out instructions on 'how to crack into a crab' for those who have never cracked into crabs before.  I think it was a brilliant idea and I love the way they turned out.

  'bushel of crabs' cake with crab sugar cookies

'how to crack into a crab' signs and sunflower centerpieces


Ellen found these wooden crab cutouts that we used to label the food with


Yummy!!

old bay snack mix favors for the adult guests


crab bean bags favors for the kids

everybody having a blast

a few of the Chase Ladies

Happy 40th Birthday Ellen!





2 comments:

  1. What a special day, Donna! I can't thank you enough for all your wonderful ideas and help in making the vision reality! Friends and Family are still talking about the party and can't wait for my 50th! (Ugh) - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ellen, but the pleasure was all mine!! I had a great time planning and brainstorming with you as always. I'm so lucky to have friends like you, so supportive and encouraging!

    ReplyDelete